The Directorate of Children’s Services (DCS), anchored on the Children Act 2022, safeguards the rights and welfare of children through establishment, provision, promotion, coordination and supervision of services and facilities designed to advance protection and the wellbeing of children and their families.
The Directorate has eight regional, forty-seven (47) County and Three hundred and twenty (320) Sub County offices countrywide that provide essential services to children. Child protection volunteers also support child protection in villages.
The Directorate manages Statutory Institutions for Children, including Fourteen (14) Remand Homes, five (5) Rescue Children ‘s Centres, Nine (9) Rehabilitation Schools two (2) Reception and Classification Centres, Six (6) Child Protection Centres and One (1) Child – Helpline 116.
- Rescue for all children in need of care and protection.
- Rehabilitation of Children in conflict with the law.
- Protect children from VAC, abuse, neglect, harmful cultural practices, all forms of violence, inhuman treatment and punishment, and hazardous or exploitative labour.
- To rescue and provide shelter for victims of trafficking and victims of harmful cultural practices.
- Maintain up-to-date records and data on managing children ‘s services in Kenya.
- Aid the judicial process to the intent that court orders in relation to children which require support, social and administrative arrangements.
- Provision of Alternative family care through care reforms programme.
- Provide Presidential Secondary School Bursary (PSSB) Programme to orphans and vulnerable children in 290 constituencies.
- Aid and procure accommodation for any child not in proper custody, any child who is abandoned or any child who needs refuge or safety.
- Child toll-free line 116.
- Vurugu mapper (application software) for reporting child protection cases in the villages)
- Trace the parents or guardians of any lost or abandoned child or return a lost or abandoned child to his lawful residence.
- Intervene on behalf of any child who needs care and protection and is in danger of imminent injury or harm, where possible, by securing the removal of such child to a place of safety.
- Mediate, as permitted under the children act, in family disputes involving children, and their parents, guardians or other persons who have parental responsibility for the children and promote family reconciliation.
- Arrange for assessment of children placed under care and provide counselling, guidance and other support services for children and their families.
- Provide care, guidance and other assistance and treatment for children who have been arrested or remanded in police custody or in children‘s remand homes and assist children through court proceedings and children‘s hearings.
- Supervise all children‘s rescue, rehabilitation centres, children‘s homes and remand homes and safeguard and promote the welfare of any children admitted therein;
The Directorate of Social Assistance (DSA) is mandated to coordinate, manage and implement the Consolidated Cash Transfer Programme (CCTP), also referred to as Inua Jamii. The beneficiaries of the programme are Older Persons, Orphans and Vulnerable Children, and Persons with Severe Disabilities.
- Payment of Inua Jamii cash transfers
- Identification and Registration of Inua Jamii Beneficiaries
- Case Management/ Updates
- Grievance and Redress mechanism
- Toll Free Line: 1533
Payment Service Providers: Post Office Savings Bank, Cooperative Bank, Kenya Commercial Bank, Equity Bank, Kenya Women Finance Trust, and National Bank
The Directorate of Social Development is anchored on the Community Registration Act, 2022. Its main mandate is to offer Community Group Registration and Rehabilitative Services to Persons with Disabilities (skills training) in the Country.
The National Social Protection Secretariat (NSPS) was established to guide and facilitate the integration, coordination & harmonization of social protection programme in Kenya under a national social protection system. It is mandated to provide strategic leadership, and management support and strengthen the governance structure to ensure effective coordination & execution of all social protection initiatives in Kenya.