This is a pilot Programme implemented under component of KSEIP. The objective of the program is to enhance access of 7500 extremely poor households to social and economic inclusion services by increasing access of households to skills, productive inputs, asset, finance and economic opportunities. The programme targets beneficiaries of National Safety Net Programme (Inua Jamii) and non-NSNP beneficiaries.
- Its implemented in five selected counties and two sub-counties from each county namely: Muranga (Kiharu & Maragua), Taita Taveta (Mwatate &Taveta), Marsabit (Saku & North Horr) Kisumu (Nyando & Kisumu West) and Makueni (Kibwezi & Mbooni). The Programme was to target and enroll 7500 participants across the five counties with each county having a target of 1500 and each sub-county a target of 750 in Cohort 1.
- Participants are receiving a consumption support of KES 2,000 per month for one year and an addition of KES 30,000 for asset transfer/seed capital to start businesses to improve their livelihoods.
- Financing Locally Led Climate Action Program (FLLoCA) - The State Department has been included in the Financing Locally Led Climate Action Program, a five year project funded by World Bank , executed by the National Treasury . The State Department is responsible for implementation of Social Risk Management component under FLLoCA program. The aim of the project is to strengthen county governments’ capacity to plan, implement, and monitor resilience investments in partnership with communities.
Community Groups Registration Act no. 30 of 2022. It provides a regulatory framework for registration and regulation of community groups.
The Directorate has embarked on the process of developing a strategy, aligning the tools and instruments for registration as well as development of standard guidelines that will aid in the implementation of the Act in the Country.
- Registration of Self –Help Group(SHGs) and Community Based Organisations - The Directorate mobilizes and registers self-help groups and Community–based organizations in the all Sub-counties and 53 Huduma centers across the country as well as Integrated Groups for Refugees.
- The groups are linked to state, non-state actors and Micro Finance Institutions (MFIs) for support.
Community Development Management Information System (CDMIS)
The Community Group Registration Act 2022, part II , 2(d) provides for the function of the Director to establish and maintain a community management information system (CDMIS).
- In this FY 2022/23, the Directorate with support from World Food Programme (WFP) and Development Pathways have developed initial modules of the systems awaiting User Acceptance Testing by DSD officers. Plans are underway to capture the community groups data into the CDMIS in all the sub-counties across the country.
The Directorate of Social Development is spearheading the establishment and implementation of Social Risk and Impact Management (SRIM) for development and infrastructural projects in the Country including establishment of structures and mechanisms for operationalization of SRIM. This aims at protecting local communities from the unintended negative effects of development projects.The Directorate has initiated a process of developing a national policy and capacity-building framework for social risk& impact management with key stakeholders and academic institutions in the country.
The State Department is mandated with vocational training and rehabilitation for persons with disabilities, this is through the 12 VRCs operationalized by the Directorate across the country to offer training in Tailoring, Dressmaking, Joinery, Welding &Fabrication, ICT, Fashion& Design , Embroidery, Carpentry& Joinery, Hair Dressing & Beauty Therapy, Shoe Making Masonry, Electrical Installation, Knitting, Beadwork, Leather Work and rehabilitation to trainees with disabilities for self reliance.
- The 12 VRCs include Bura- Taita Taveta County, Muriraranjas- Muranga County, Kakamega- Kakamega County, Odiado- Busia County , Machakos- Machakos County, Industrial Rehabilitation Center(IRC)- Nairobi County, Embu- Embu County , Kabarnet- Baringo County, Nyandarua- Nyandarua County , Kericho- Kericho County, Itando- Vihigah County and Kisii- Kisii County
- Intakes are usually done In January, May and September every year